Sunday, December 19, 2010

VW 1600cc for sale in Costa Mesa


Last night while I was searching for a second VW 1600 SP/DP engine in the internet, I spotted an advertisement posted by a guy selling his dual port 1600cc that he is taking down from his 1974 VW bug. I sent him a text message telling him that I would like to check his engine. He responded and agreed to meet at 9AM.

It was raining hard this morning when I drove to Costa Mesa to meet the guy. Before leaving the house, I texted the guy asking him to give me the engine number of his bug. He did not respond and so this made me wonder why he was not giving me a lot of information about his bug.

When I arrived at the guy’s house, he told me that his bug is at a shop in Santa Ana. It puzzled me why this guy did not give me all the details of where his bug was. He jumped to his van and I followed him to a house (not a shop) in Santa Ana. Parked In front of the house was this guy’s bug. He opened the engine deck lid and when I checked the engine number, there was none marked in it.

Since there is no serial number in it, this would mean that the engine case was probably a replacement case and I do not know where it was made. I could only guess that the case was made in either U.S. , Mexico or Brazil. It is definitely not a German made.

I told the owner that I would not be able to buy the engine because I was searching for ones that were made from 1970-1974 with serial numbers marked in them.

No comments: