Friday, December 17, 2010

My 1600cc B-code engine is ready for restoration

I called “Strictly VW” shop this morning to get an update on the 1600cc engine that I dropped at their shop last Tuesday. I was a bit nervous because good and affordable 1600cc & 1776cc engine cases are getting harder and harder to find nowadays.

The owner told me that the case is fine and he is preparing to restore it. He told me that one of the heads will need to be replaced because it has broken studs. I have an extra cylinder head that was given to me by the guy who sold me the engine. I told the owner of the shop that I will mail the head to him and it should arrive at his shop by Tuesday of Next week. He told me that he will be able to finish the restoration by the first week of January 2011.

I spoke to a guy over the phone who is selling a 1600 single port & a 1776 engine both for $500. He lives near Victorville, CA. That price is affordable but I kind of hesitated a bit because owner told me that the 1776 was used in a dune buggy before. This would mean that it was used on rough rides at the desert. Sand could have entered the engine causing possible internal damage. The engine number in his 1600cc engine starts with the letter H which means that it was manufactured back in 1965 thru 1967. I told the guy that I would prefer to buy an engine that was manufactured from 1970 thru 1974.

Searching a good VW engine case is hard. A brand new case costs around $700 for a 1600cc and more for a 1776. I would love to own a 1776 but my budget kind of holds me back. I am hoping to get lucky one of these days and spot a restorable 1776 at a cheap price.

No comments: