Sunday, December 19, 2010

Dishwasher dashed

Have you seen a TV Maytag commercial showing an old Maytag repairman who is totally bored because he has not been getting any calls from customers for repair? Well, I bought the message in that commercial and when I installed our kitchen cabinets, sink and counter top , I decided to buy a Maytag dishwasher. I felt confident that I bought a good brand because of its reputation. I even bought a Maytag laundry machine after buying the dishwasher.

Today, that belief and confidence on Maytag was dashed a bit because all of a sudden my Maytag dishwasher broke down. The machine does not turn on when I push the “ON” button. The buttons in the control panel does not light up when I push them. I told my wife about the problem and she said exactly what was in my mind, “This is a Maytag. It should not break down”.

I think we bought our Maytag dishwashing machine back in 2006 because I have gotten tired of doing the dishes by hand. It only took four years for it to break down. I was hoping that it would last until my kids are through with college but I guess that belief was shattered.

I pulled the machine from its spot and checked the power current that ran from the wall to the machine using a current light tester. There appears to be current going into the machine. I tested the door latch to see if there is a malfunction and the door seemed to be latching good. There is also current running through the latch switch. This made me conclude that the problem must be in the control panel and so I took off the panel and I will call Maytag tomorrow to find out how much will it cost me to buy the part.

No comments: