Wednesday, February 27, 2013

VW 61-63 bus middle seat with a rusty leg

I spotted this guy selling a 1961-63 bus middle seat. On close examination, the condition of the grab handles and cushion springs seemed to be fine. Alignment of the backrest flip with the rest of the backrest seemed alright. The metal frame of the springs on the seat cushion is a bit rusty but is not that bad. I asked the owner of the seat if I could lift his seat so that I could check the legs and the bottom part of the seat. He gave his consent. When I lifted the seat, I immediately spotted a major problem area—one of the legs is rusted out.

The owner tried to point out that the problem is a “quick fix” and all I need to do is to weld a portion of a metal tube to replace the rusted part. I don’t know if the owner knows it but the strength integrity of the metal leg has been compromised by the rust. For the leg to take a load and last for a long time, a metal rod has to be inserted in it that extends the whole length of the base of the leg plus part of both ends of the angles of the leg.

I am guessing that this seat was pulled out from a bus that had sat immobile for quite some time. It is possible that rain water got into the bus causing a water puddle to build around that particular leg of the middle seat causing it to rust out.

If the condition of the seat is better with no rust issues and also the cover is decent, I would say that the value would be somewhere close to the asking price of the seller. It is true that middle seats are hard vintage VW bus items to come by but condition heavily dictates the value of any rare item.

I would love to own this middle seat but only at a reasonable price. Hopefully the seller adjusts his price to a reasonable amount that truly reflects the condition of his seat.

No comments: