Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The rusty 15-window bus for restoration



Last year, I dropped by a body shop whose owner claimed that they specialize in vintage car restoration. They are not well known in the area and so I do not know the quality of their workmanship. Inside their shop I spotted a 15-window VW bus. I think the owner of the shop said that it is a 1965 bus. They are getting ready to restore it and the shop owner said that the bus owner gave them $14,000 to fully restore the bus. While I was checking the bus, I just wondered how much did the owner pay for the bus.  According to the shop owner, it was bought from another state and was shipped to California for restoration. Oh boy, this is one big project, I must say.

One week later, one of my friends came by the same auto body shop and saw that the bus had been sand blasted. When my friend looked closely on the condition of the body of the bus, it had wrinkles all over its body. I am guessing that the restorers used a regular sand blasting material instead of other softer materials like walnut or whatever other material that would not be too harsh on thin metal. I don’t know if the shop eventually covered up all the surface wrinkles with bundo.






I never found out how the bus came out but I am hoping that it is now rolling on the streets like it used to during its heyday. 

No comments: