Friday, August 26, 2011

Pre-1967 VW middle seat bus purchase


A while back, I was able to buy a rare middle seat that fits a pre-1967 VW bus. It was priced at a very affordable amount and so when I saw the advertisement on the internet, I immediately called the seller. I drove to the bank and withdrew some money. When I met the seller at his house, he told me that he has gotten several calls from people wanting to buy his middle seat. People hundreds of miles away are willing to drive to his house to buy the middle seat. I told the owner that those other people who called him might flake on him and I am already offering to buy the seat. He thought for a moment and decided to take my down payment.

The following day, I returned to pay the balance. I left feeling that I now own a vintage pre-1967 Volkswagen bus middle seat that a lot of people are looking for.

I have learned in the past that I should avoid flipping highly sought after VW parts right after buying them because people will immediately know how much I bought the part originally. After waiting for two months, I quietly place the middle seat for sale in the internet. I put a very high price on it because of two reasons: (1) I wanted to maximize my profit. (2) I did not want to easily sell it because it is worth more keeping.

The reason why I am hesitating to sell the middle seat is because I am planning to buy a pre-1967 VW bus so that I could flip it. The probability of me finding a bus to buy that does not have a middle seat is very high. Since I have a middle seat, I could easily complete a VW bus project and bring up the price of the bus substantially. Collectors prefer buses that are complete.

Yesterday, I got a call from a guy who sounded quite upset at me. He is claiming that he saw the middle seat I own being sold before at an affordable price and now I am selling it double the price. He was angry that I am flipping it twice the price I bought it. I think the caller is one of the people who desperately tried to buy the middle seat but was not successful because I got there first. I am sure he had been searching for an affordable middle seat for a long time now and the rare chance of owning one at an affordable price was snatched away from him before he could do anything. I simply told the guy not to call me if he would just like to vent his frustration. I just hang up because I did not want to be stuck on a senseless conversation with a frustrated stranger.

Reflecting on my fortune, I have to say that it is not a simple stroke of luck. It was a blessing and this blessing came from God. Everything that I have came from God. Because of this reason, I should not boast for owning rare items. God is just providing me with items that I could sell to earn an honest income so that I could provide for my family. I am not being dishonest on my dealings. I am just doing honest business.

Praise the Lord.

2 comments:

mouldy said...

Honestly, it's leeches like you that run up the price on hard to get items. You truly had no business buying a part you never intended to use, and yeah you can save the, "I might buy a bus someday, BS". You don't own a bus and probably never will for more than a month because as you said, "you will flip that too". you bought it to flip it because you could. Now legitimate bus owners end up paying inflated prices because of leeches like you! God is too busy to worry about presenting YOU with a bus seat to buy and flip for double!! You, just are not that important.

Unknown said...

Are you kidding Me?
Now you're gonna bring God into this?
Child Please!